Stories and insight in the world of showbiz and beyond.

Sunday, July 13, 2008


I realized today that I am falling behind again on my blog posts. I felt awful. Then I saw this cartoon in today's LA Times. It made me feel better. Hope it makes you laugh because it is so TRUE.


I hope that Stephan Pastis doesn't mind my using my blog to make his funny and clever point.
I love his sense of humor and the way he can say so much in just six frames.

Stay cool. Stay tuned.


Blogger duke said...

Hi Lloyd,

My favorite cartoonist of all time is/was Walt Kelly and Pogo. His sense of the absurdity of life was always done gently but with truth. He was a great comfort through the 40's and 50's. And so were gin martinis now that I think about it.

Are there any Will Cuppy fans out there? One of my all time favorite humor writers.

These two - Pogo and Will Cuppy might be a little too ancient for your fans from the 60's.



11:37 PM

Blogger Gary said...

That IS so true, Uncle Lloyd! The world does go on but yet I feel if I don't check my emails 20 times a day, the world will stop!
I wasn't a big Pogo fan in the 60s because I was just a little kid and didn't understand it but as I got older....I GOT IT!! DING DING DING DING, the light and bells went off and I really GOT IT!
The name Will Cuppy rings a bell to me but no idea why.

4:19 PM

Blogger Michele said...

I love the cartoon MR. LT. I told my husband years ago we are 'puter addicts'. If we watch a movie or something and can't think of who it is; bing! right to the computer to look it up. We've been to a lot of Summer parties; then it's come home and the 'the puters come on.'
I don't know who Will Cuppy is ( a google search will fix that, lol) but I love Bizarro and Close To Home.
Hope you are feeling well MR. LT. Blessings!!!!from NEXT; alias Michele that is if the name doesn't show up; you'd think a puter addict would know by now how to do it. Time for Dell's Anonymous or the PC-less house (oh the withdrawl affects)!!! Love ya LT

3:38 PM

Blogger ikya said...

Hi Lloyd,

Did you ever get the old show onto DVD? I would love a copy!! All these many years later I found out I had a boss who used to dance on your show. LOL Small world huh?

3:04 PM

Anonymous Ron said...

Hope you are feeling better. I look forward to reading your blogs. I sure hope the DVD will be released soon. Please update its progress.


7:47 AM

Anonymous Patty Inglish, MS said...

The Great Lloyd Thaxton!

I'm so happy you are here and blogging. I watched as many of your shows as I could and liked them better than Shindig and Hullabaloo. I always put you on an even keel with American Bandstand, and you were funnier. Thanks for making me laugh and sing.

9:47 AM

Anonymous Ron said...

It's been a month since your last entry. I miss your remarks, and I hope you are well.

Thanks for the memories,

5:18 AM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember watching your show, the funniest one was when you did your version of Bob Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone". It went on forever and people were throwing stuff, it was hilarious! Not sure why I thought it was so funny, it just was. Didn't realize at that time you were my parents age......
I miss the good ol days!! Kathy

8:30 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there Lloyd.. I miss working with you... not so much the "Fight Back" show.. just you... Karen O.

5:37 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Thaxton, I just learned that my mother was on you show in the early years and won a lip sync contest. My mother is turning 60 this year and I was wondering if where I could get a copy of all your shows so I could show her segment at our family party. I think it would be great. Thankyou, Ed O'Neil.

9:00 PM

Blogger emorenci said...


You were an inspiration to a goofy little kid in Tacoma, WA who raced home at lunch to catch "Everybody's Talking" and never missed your dance show after school. I later went on to a radio career before Top 40 personality radio took the dirt nap.
Live long and prosper, Mr. Thaxton!


4:41 PM

Blogger Mike Barer said...

Now more than ever, we need you back here posting Lloyd!

10:50 PM

Blogger Gary said...

I am quite worried about Uncle Lloyd. I emailed him privately a couple of weeks ago and never got a response. He's always answered within a day or two before. Sure hope things are okay!

4:51 AM

Blogger Mike Barer said...

He did not answer my letter eithr.

10:37 PM

Blogger Gary said...

I now know where Lloyd has been. I wish he would have told us!!

8:00 AM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Lloyd Thaxton for President thing was a joke. You will notice Lloyd's name was not mentioned by the newscasters one time. The name was superimposed on the bus cards and tattoo.
Where Lloyd really is, remains a mystery.

9:00 AM

Blogger Mike Barer said...

Slogan So What!

7:49 AM

Blogger daniel said...

Okay...We're tuned and standing by...Come on back Lloyd.

10:57 AM

Blogger Mike Barer said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:01 PM

Blogger Mike Barer said...

We really want Lloyd blogging again soon!

5:25 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too am a faithful reader and was concerned when this blog had not been updated. I did a little sleuthing and found a post on the rock relic's blog. It could explain why Lloyd has been otherwise occupied. See the info at

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.


12:59 PM

Blogger Mike Barer said...

Thank you for the update Becky. It helps to know exactly what is going on. I'm sure Lloyd will be back with a vengence.

1:18 PM

Blogger Maureen said...

My goodness! What a surprise! I just happened to land on this blog after an evening spent on the web going down memory lane. I was on your show in either 1963 or 1964 (my memory isn't the greatest), and my dancing partner and I won 1st place. You were amazed at the way Bill's (partner)feet were so fast, and you had the camera pan in while he gave another quick dance step. We won a pair of shoes from Thom McAnn, and I kept those shoes for a good 10 years before giving them to Goodwill. What wonderful memories I have of those days and your fantastic show. From the bottom of my heart, thank you!

7:50 PM

Anonymous Wow Gold said...

wow ! what a blog

9:12 PM

Anonymous Wow Gold said...

wow ! what a blog

9:12 PM


Post a Comment

<< Home